Words of wisdom...

  • Subject: [cg] Words of wisdom...
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:59:04 -0700

Hello my Gardening friends,

Please, I need your guided words of wisdom now. I may become a little
self-indulgent but bear with me for a moment.

I have been on this list server for many a year and sometimes I can be vocal,
filled with excitement and glee yet other time's silent. But it is your words
I read everyday. It is like comfort food that feeds the soul.

I am at a crossroads where my life has changed dramatically. The non-profit
organization Green Cure, which I founded in 1999, is coming to a close. Out of
all the youth gardening programs, hort therapy programs for abused women the
one and only effort to survive these times is the community garden I started
in Mid-town Ventura. I have found another non-profit, our Mid-Town Community
Council, to operate the program.

My dilemma is, the current Garden Manager who has been at the garden from the
beginning, is very dedicated and gets things done but sometimes lacks in
people skills which offend many of the gardeners. In the past I always
smoothed things over and we found a balance. Now that my life is taking me
completely out of the community all together I fear that this tiny oasis in
Mid-town shall fade away.

Questions, questions, questions. to be answered later. My only last hope is to
keep this gift of a community garden alive without gardeners leaving because
they feel they are being scolded or not recognized for their efforts in the

What I can offer back to this precious list server is that I have come to
realize that it has to be more than one person's vision. I have tried
(unsuccessfully) to give willingly to others to take the lead but it always
seemed to fall back on me. I always was there to scoop up the pieces. Is this
where I failed? Should I have let the pieces fall where they ended up and not
try to "fix it"?

If anyone would like to discuss this with me further please e-mail me. I know
I have been sketchy on the details of the situation.

Thank you in advance,