Oklahoma: Plant a Row for the Hungry

  • Subject: [cg] Oklahoma: Plant a Row for the Hungry
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:16:05 EDT

This was part of a note to an Oklahoma Farmer's Co-op, talking about the
hunger that grips this country, specifically in Oklahoma.  While much of this
missive speaks to local concerns, what he talks about resonates here in
Manhattan's concrete canyons as well.  Business is too good at our soup kitchens - and
folks are turned away everyday when the food runs out.

Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden,

1.B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  Plant a Row for the Hungry

This is a national program of the Garden Writers of America.B  All gardeners
are encouraged to plant a row for the specific purpose of donating the
production from those plants to the hungry. B The gardener can donate to a food pantry
or soup kitchen, Regional Food Bank, or someone they know who needs help.B  If
anyone needs to know information on food pantries or soup kitchens in their
area please feel free to call the food bank.

Food security is a critical issue.B  In Oklahoma alone, one in five children
are at risk of going to bed hungry every night.B  Sixty-three (63%) percent of
adults in Oklahoma skip at least one meal a month because they cannot afford
food i.e. they have to choose between food and medicine, or rent or utilities.

There was a lady last year who regularly visited one of the 23 community
gardens we are associated with.B  She tearfully told the gardeners one day that if
it werenbt for them she would not be able to survive.

Almost all of the gardens we work with have active programs involving
teaching children about gardening.B  A study has shown that if children garden as
little as 30 minutes a week the amount of fruits and vegetables they eat will
significantly increase.

If you do choose to donate some of your production, please call us with a
rough estimate of the number of pounds donated.B  This number will be part of the
total number used in writing grant proposals and making reports and statistics
available to the public.B  You will be able to tangibly see what a significant
difference you make in the lives of those around you.

We, who have a garden / healthy food interest, sometimes take for granted the
fresh vegetables in our diet.B  Recently a truck was involved in an accident
and its load of lettuce was donated to the Regional Food Bank.B  I filled the
pickup and started delivering these cases of fresh Romaine lettuce to all the
soup kitchens and food pantries that could handle it.B  I have never been so bGod
blessedb in one day in my life.B  One soup kitchen originally wanted 4 cases
and ended up taking 11 just to insure as many people as possible would
benefit.B  Fresh vegetables and fruits are so critical to our health and well being
that B we forget a large segment of the population does not have such ready

2.B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  Grand Opening of the Straw Bale BakeryB

Earth Elements Farm will be having a grand opening of their new bakery on May
6thB  B 2005 beginning at 5 pm.B  The bakery is constructed of straw bales and
is uniquely interesting.B  They will be having Julia Butterfly Hill speak at
7:30 pm.B  This is one stop on her national bWe the Planet Tourb.B  If you
remember, Ms. Hill spent a year in a tree in California to prevent it from being

Tours of the bakery (including samples) will be from 5 to 7 pmB  B After the
talk, music will be provided by local bands.

Remember to support the environment and bring your own cup and bowl.B
Concessions will be available to benefit Circle of Life and local bands.

Contact information: Earth Elements Farm

B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  9630 Pecan Tree Circle
B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  Lexington, OK 73051
B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  405-872-3722

B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  www.earthelements.net.
Thanks so much for the help.

Jerry Newhouse VISTA
Community Garden Liaison