Plot numbers & signs

  • Subject: [cg] Plot numbers & signs
  • From: Amanda Maria Edmonds amanda@growinghope.net
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:30:48 -0400

I've found a great, and fairly moderately priced, solution for
weather-proof signs.  It's using write-in-the-rain, or field notebook
sort of paper.  I ordered it directly from Xerox (couldn't find any
locally supplied in full 8.5 x11 sheet size), and it was $60 for 100
sheets.  Search for the words "waterproof" or "tear-proof" or related
words on their or other paper manufacturers websites.  Now, normally I
would say that's a lot of $ for 100 sheets of paper, but the good thing
about this paper, which truly is weatherproof and so far fade-proof, is
that it runs right through a (color or b/w) laser printer, and the ink
really "sticks".  We then cut it up and can get a good 8 small signs
(which we've color coded with symbols for
fruit/veggie/herb/annual/perennial/native plants) out of each one.
They're beautiful!  They have lasted really well, but last year I used
them on floral picks (the plastic stick the florist card comes on in a
bouquet) because I'd seen the local bot gardens do that... But, the
sticks got brittle and broke, and we pulled up and broken, or easily
got stepped on during weeding, etc-- they didn't last at all.  So, this
year I'll staple the paper to small wooden stakes.  The color and
condition of our signs from last year is still fabulous, and the
relative cost of each little sign (and the loss should one disappear)
is minimal.

Amanda Maria Edmonds
Executive Director, Growing Hope

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
"To forget to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
					-Mahatma Ghandi