mosquito spraying and community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] mosquito spraying and community gardens
  • From: SafariAng safariang@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:53:53 -0700 (PDT)

Members of the community garden in which I am involved want an organic
garden. However, the chemical the city sprays to control mosquitos is
Anvil 10 + 10 ULV. According to the MSDS, we should "Avoid contamination
with food and feedstuffs." (So much for all of that fresh basil, lettuce
and spinach ...) Furthermore, if we are to have a truly organic garden,
this chemical appears on the banned list.

That being said, we too would like to explore natural mosquito controls (I
saw listed bat houses and purple martin houses). However, has anyone had
any luck working with municipal governments to stop the spraying? If so,
what advice can you provide?

Thanks so much.

best, angela herrmann

angela herrmann
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi