Re: Fwd: bats - if you built a bat house, will they come?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Fwd: bats - if you built a bat house, will they come?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:22:56 EDT

The Clinton Community Garden keeps fish in the pools of water we have (we
have some koi fanciers) and covers a water barrel by the shed and the compost
tea a volunteer has working( despite the fact that we also have piped water).
And every year we order beneficial insects, some of whom hang around for a
while.

All of this in an extremely urban environment - midtown Manhattan.   That
said, the city does come around with its spraying trucks in the height of  the
summer, doing the street, neighborhood by neighborhood. Yes it's  controversial,
but the cost, law-suit wise to the municipality, if they did  nothing would
be immense. So they do it - and it becomes another environmental  toxin we deal
with, along with tons of automobile and truck fumes and  particulate. This
ain't no pure enviornment, by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, due to a bat sighting we had in the neighborhood, we erected a
small bat house on a pole. Don't see bats much - the question is, if you build a
 bat house, with they come?

Regards,
Adam Honigman
Hell's Kitchen
NYC

Here are  the facts on bats and mosquitoes