Re: Starting CGs in Ada Oklahoma

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Starting CGs in Ada Oklahoma
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:47:32 EDT

Welcome Rita!  -
Please make a pot, or pitcher of your favorite hot or cold beverage, set
your computer's printer up, and go to the American Community Gardening
Association's website - _http://www.communitygarden.org/_
(http://www.communitygarden.org/) .  There will be a wealth of information to help you get started.
I also strongly suggest that you join the American Community Gardening
Association to get discounts on great publications like "Growing Communities
Curriculum: Community Building and Oranizational Development though Community
Gardening," by Abi-Nader, Dunnigan and Markley. This book's 350 plus pages is a
wonderful step by step guide on how to get the job done.
Also, the American Community Gardening Association website has local links
that may be of great use to you.
This food security group in Oklahoma is named after Tom Kerr, a great
community garden supporter and hunger fighter:
Good luck in your search,
Adam Honigman
Hell's Kitchen, NYC

I'm  writing from Ada Oklahoma and our church's
501.c.3. Matthew 25 Mission is  launching out to build
community gardens in the low income and med  income
areas of the city. We want to plant veggies and herbs.
Have some  fruit trees and nut trees and edible
landscaping plus a hoop house when we  can.

I am at the stage of trying to get organizations aware
and  included.  What advice to you have in starting
these things??   How do I get the soil and lumber for
the raised beds?  How do I  structure the maintenance
of the beds?  How do I structure the  harvesting to
make sure those in need actually get the food?  How  do
I get the city to agree to free water for our drip
irrigation?   How do I get the plots of land for free?
Ah the woes of a newbie.

I  had an Urban Harvest presenter in March but only 8
people showed up - 3  master gardeners and 2 rotary
members - but no where near the numbers I  wanted.

Any leads or advice are welcome. I am new to this list
and  yet we want to plant ASAP to get a harvest this
summer.  Our website  is www.stlukesada.com/matthew25
and this is the link that describes the  Urban  harvest
in Oklahoma City through the Regional Food Bank  where
we order food for our mission:

Rita  Bosico, M.Div., M.A.
Matthew 25 Mission Coordinator
110 E 17th  Street