to plow or not

To Whom It May Concern--
I am not currently a member of the American Community Garden Association
but plan to become one.  We have a small community garden in the inner
city of Kansas City, Kansas.  It is located on a lot, which was formerly
the site of a house.  The soil was very poor and rubble-filled when we
began.  We cleared as much as we could--to perhaps a depth of 12-18
inches--and tilled in several loads of compost.  My question is what
would be the best way to improve the soil with a bit of grant money we
have.  Should we continue to add compost to the top and till it in or
would it be better to hire someone to plow it and plow in compost at a
deeper level.  I'm not sure how feasible this would be or if a deeper
plowing would even be that good.  But I've read that tilling can harm
the soil.  (We try not to overdo it).  Please let me know your thoughts
on this.  We're thinking of plowing this fall.  Thanks, Pat Lawson,
Kansas City, Kansas