RE: Locks on garden gates

We are an urban garden in mid-Manhattan surrounded on 3 sides with tenement
buildings and on the street side with a keyed 8 foot tall cast iron fence.
We have a public lawn and garden area up front and a second fence between
this area and the 108 individual plots in the back garden. This area has a 7
foot tall fence and is keyed as well. We have an open lean to in the back
for some tools, but the bulk of the tools are ,again, under lock and key.
At closing, we affix a chain and padlock on our front gate which is removed
in the early morning. We currently have over 2000 keyholders for our front
garden area. If you believe that it might be helpful, please check out our
website: http://www.clintoncommunitygarden for ideas on governance and
garden rules. The American Community Gardening Association website has links
to many other garden sites with posted rules and procedures.

A  higher fence seems to be the way to go. It would be better if the parents
of these children taught them to respect the garden, but until they do - if
they ever do - higher fencing with some sort of obstacle to climbing at the
top seems to be the way to go.

Happy gardening,