Locked gates and garden grass

Hi Stephanie and all who replied to my locked gates query,

Thanks so much for sharing your various points of view. It has given us many
ideas and varied approaches to consider. We will be addressing the problem
at our board meeting next week so your timely responses are especially helpful.

Stephanie, with regards to your question about grass in the garden -at both
of our gardens we have grassy commons areas bordered in one case by a paver
pathway and in the other by 6" edging and then a perennial bed.  The grass
areas provide a comfortable, inviting place for gardeners and visitors to
sit and visit and even considering the occasional difficulty in getting
someone to be responsible for their watering and mowing have been a positive
addition to the gardens. One of our gardeners tried this year to use annual
rye as a cover crop interplanted with some of his crops. Too many perennial
weeds still in that young garden to make this successful. We also tried
grass pathways in a small area one year but in our arid climate unless
sprinkle irrigation was used the grass did not thrive. Hope these comments
are helpful. Thanks again for yours.

Kristi Appelhans
Idaho Falls Community Garden Association
(208) 522 3244