RE: Quick Bio & q's

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Quick Bio & q's
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:11:04 -0400

Vinny,

Welcome to the listserve.

Coming as I do from NYC where the city is generally not supportive of
community gardens as a rule, most of the individual gardens have to fend for
themselves, organize as tax free corporations, do their own fundraising
through street fairs, pot lucks and individual tax deductable contributions.
We sell garden t-shirts, coffee mugs, honey from our bee hive and do the
kinds of things parents do to raise money for underfunded schools.

Here is the website of the garden where I volunteer:
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org .

I don't know if your gardeners expect to have things, seeds, soil amendments
given to them. I know that somehow, because we're so starved for nice
gardens in a city that has so few acres of green space per 1,000 population
( even with Central Park & Prospect Park) we create these spaces because we
have a visceral need for them.

You can find all kind of great information on the American Community
Gardening Association website with fundraising suggestions - great luck!
http://www.communitygarden.org