Re: What makes an effective regional CG website?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] What makes an effective regional CG website?
  • From: Lenny Librizzi <plantlot@rcn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:33:29 -0400

Ben,
We developed a Community garden mapping web site for NYC. We felt that it was important to do it as a GIS mapping
website because we needed to show the gardens in context to open space and vacant land  (potential open space or
building sites). The information was important to community gardeners and planners to make the case for and decide on
garden permanency.
Additionally, there was a lack of good information about what was in the gardens, information about open hours, garden
events, what was grown, photos, etc. So our site contains a page (or series of pages)  for each garden. In some cases
the information is fairly complete in other cases it is mostly missing. The template is there to feed infomation into as it
becomes available and there is a place to post the info that is publicly accessible. We already have grad students who
are supplying us with info and using the site to do research.
View it at
www.cenyc.org/maps/index.html

A couple of other web sites you should check for examples of other information that might be helpful:

www.treebranch.com
has a large section on community gardens.

GreenThumbs web site:  www.greenthumbnyc.org

You might search through city farmer   : www.cityfarmer.org
There is a wealth of information there that might be helpful.

I always feel that links are a great way to include a wealth of information on your site. If you find a site that has good info
just link to that site.

Good Luck,

Lenny Librizzi