RE: Mosquitoes and standing water

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Mosquitoes and standing water
  • From: Keith Addison <keith@journeytoforever.org>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:25:35 +0900

Sally-Anne's right, it's the mint itself, not just the "any-oil"
effect. The following is from New Scientist. I think Mr Curtis (see
end) might be missing the point. If it needs tons of leaves then help
create a nice little local ag-industry growing tons of leaves. And/or
help set up a local distillery to extract the essential oils. There's
been success with such essential oil projects in Ghana and elsewhere,
with multiple spin-off benefits.

Regards

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

Mean and minty

PEPPERMINT OIL could be a new, cheap weapon in the fight against
mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria, filariasis, dengue fever and
West Nile virus. Researchers in India have found that the oil not
only repels adult mosquitoes but also kills the larvae.

A team led by Musharrah Ansari of the Malaria Research Centre and
Padma Vasudevan of the Centre for Rural Development and Technology in
Delhi extracted the oil from locally grown peppermint (Mentha
piperita). The researchers tested the oil on the larvae of three
mosquito species--Aedes aegypti (which carries dengue fever),
Anopheles stephensi (malaria) and Culex quinquefasciatus (filariasis
and West Nile virus).

They spread films of peppermint oil on the water in the trays housing
the larvae. When the concentration of oil was 3 millilitres per
square metre of water, all the C. quinquefasciatus larvae died within
a day, along with 90 per cent of A. aegypti and 85 per cent of A.
stephensi. Higher concentrations should kill all the larvae.

Volunteers doused in peppermint oil spent several nights outside as
bait for mosquitoes. The protection offered varied slightly between
the different mosquito species, but averaged around 85 per cent. It
was particularly effective against Anopheles culicifacies, which is
responsible for around three- quarters of malaria transmissions in
the northern plains of India. This follows the discovery that
compounds isolated from another member of the mint family, catnip,
repel cockroaches (New Scientist, 28 August, p 22).

Christopher Curtis, a medical entomologist at the London School of
Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, welcomes the news. However, he
cautions that the Indian team is using far more oil than would be
needed to do the same job with a commercial insecticide: "You would
need tonnes of leaves to treat all the breeding sites around a
village," he says.

Source: Bioresource Technology (vol 71, p 267)

Michelle Knott