Storing and Transplanting Perennials

  • Subject: [cg] Storing and Transplanting Perennials
  • From: Jeneva Storme jenevastorme@yahoo.ca
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:01:05 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings all;

I am working on renovating a vacant lot into a
multifunctional green space including a community
garden.  The lot is owned by the city, so we have to
jump through certain hoops regarding concept designs
and working drawings, so it's taking a little longer
than we hoped to get things rolling.  It seems likely
that we will be able to get the space cleared, graded
and prepared for the next steps by sometime this fall.

My question is what to do with the perennials that
currently reside in the "guerilla" garden on that lot.
 There are herbs, flowers, strawberries and native
edibles that grow there, and we'd like to keep them
for the new garden, but they'll have to be removed
before the contractors come to dig up the leftover
chunks of concrete and level the land.  We intend to
build raised beds for the new garden, on top of the
existing nearly impossible heavy clay soil.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding how best to
transplant or store strawberry plants, various herbs
such as yarrow, comfrey and motherwort, and large
perennial vegetables such as Jerusalem artichoke and
rhubarb?  We would probably have to keep them
somewhere over the winter, until new beds could be
built for next spring, and there isn't an immediately
likely place to transplant them to in the meantime,
though I could probably find homes for some of them in
neighbours' yards and gardens.  I don't think we'll
have the preparation done before it's too cold to
transplant, but I don't know if some of these can be
put back into the ground as dormant roots, even if
they won't have a chance to establish themselves
before winter.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as I'd
really rather not have these plants go to waste.

Thanks in advance,
Jeneva Storme

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca