HELLS KITCHEN HEROES PICNIC Background and Flier

  • Subject: [cg] HELLS KITCHEN HEROES PICNIC Background and Flier
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:20:29 -0400

Last September,  the Clinton Community Garden served as a focal point for
Hell's Kitchen's response to 9/11 through a fundraiser for the families of
the 38 firefighters that our community lost in the  WTC terrorist attack. It
was the kind of spontaneous tribute and healing that took place in NYC
Parks, community gardens,  and open spaces all over New York City, our
country and among nations of good will throughout the  world.  If ever we
saw the value of Parks and Public spaces to the people of this city, it was
during this time of crisis, mourning and commemoration.  Some of you even
participated in that effort through your contributions and your sustaining
good wishes ( for which we as New Yorkers must remain eternally  grateful.)

The New Yorkers for Parks Daffodil Project, the 500,000 daffodils that were
planted  by volunteers last fall and bloomed all over NYC last spring was a
key part of this public healing process.
http://www.newyorkersforparks.org/index2.html

Here is a link to what happened last year in the Clinton Community Garden,
our  little community maintained third of an acre NYC Parks garden:
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/firemen's_benefit.htm

This year, as promised we invite you all (  if you happen to be in NYC or in
spirit) to our First Annual Hell's Kitchen Heroes Picnic on Saturday,
September 21, 2002 at 3:00 pm. While last year's event was a fundraiser for
the families of the firemen who were lost, this year's picnic honors all of
our neighborhood's public safety and emergency workers ( many of whom were
down at Ground Zero during the emergency and recovery efforts.)  Just bring
yourselves, a dish or beverage to share with our heroes and your neighbors!

Clinton Community Garden
invites you to the 1st Annual HELLS KITCHEN HEROES PICNIC

Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 3:00 p.m.
Clinton Community Garden, West 48th Street between 9th and 10th Avenues

Honoring our Firemen, Police Officers and EMS Workers who serve our
Clinton/Hell's Kitchen Community

Rescue Company 1, West 43rd Street
Engine 54, Ladder 4, Battalion 9, West 48th Street
Engine 34, Ladder 21, West 38th Street
Engine 26, West 37th Street
Midtown North Precinct, West 54th Street
Midtown South Precinct, West 35th Street
St. Clare's Hospital EMS, West 51st Street

Please bring a dish or beverage to share with your neighbors!