community gardenings beginnings in the USA

  • Subject: [cg] community gardenings beginnings in the USA
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:32:55 -0400

Before the whitemen or Chinese came in 1421... some of my relatives many
times removed were doing the community sharing of work in gardening.  I
think that you need to narrow and define exactly what is meant by CC. Women
shared the duties, they may not have had many nice dudes like Adam the
lawyer in pre Colombian times.
Did anyone read an article about earthworms being a non native critter?  I
saw it in our local newspaper and just couldn't believe that we did not have
earthworms before the whitemen brought them from Europe.
As for gray water, I used my own rinse water from clothing and dishwater to
keep my garden green during summers that were horribly dry and it really
made the zucchini grow.  It also saved my perennials, though they did not
have sufficient water to flower much.  I have never used other folks water
but it should be safe for grass but then in places like suburban Harrisburg
we do have lawns.  The city of Harrisburg has some very nice lawns and yards
unlike NYC.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Hbg., Pa.