Re: Statistics on successful youth gardening programs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Statistics on successful youth gardening programs
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:41:47 EDT

Statistics are hard to come by, however these are some programs that you can
contact directly to inquire about stats, trade war stories, find wheels that
have been invented. Also, many Master Gardener Programs have youth
enterprise/youth at risk counciling programs. You may want to search through them for
leads.  Who knows? Maybe your local extension's Master Gardener program has some
folks who have been engaged in this difficult but rewarding work:

1) Youth at Risk Grow-Lab Program

Grow-Lab Program
Camden Children's Garden
Camden City Garden Club
3 Riverside Drive
Camden, NJ 08103
Tel: 856-365-8733
Fax: 856-365-9750

Program Type:
Violence prevention through sports/recreation activities involving gardening.

Target Population:
At-risk youths K-8.

Classrooms and community youth organizations in Camden, New Jersey.

Project Startup Date:
Fiscal year 1991.

Information Source:
Provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Annual Budget:

Sources of Funding:
U.S. Department of Agriculture, local government groups, and private

Program Description:
Located in southern New Jersey, Camden is one of the poorest cities in the
country and is consistently ranked the third or fourth most distressed city in
the United States. This program continues to establish GrowLabs in the
classrooms and at community youth organizations throughout the city of Camden. The
program also assists existing sites to maintain GrowLab projects. The program
serves approximately 2,300 school children in the City of Camden and
approximately 2,200 more throughout South Jersey.

Several partners are involved with the Rutgers Cooperative Extension of
Camden County in this effort. The Camden City Garden Club, Inc., a nonprofit
corporation; the city of Camden; the Camden County Department of Parks and
Environmental Affairs; and the county of Camden round out this effective consortium of
public and private agencies that have worked to make community gardening and
the YAR Grow-Lab Programs a successful reality.

2) Youth Gardening Programs Continue to 'Grow' in Popularity

ARDMORE, Okla. — During the 1990s, the number of U.S. children participating
in organized gardening programs increased dramatically, and Noble Foundation
horticulturist Steve Upson says the trend continues today.

Why all the interest in youth gardening? Because more and more public and
private organizations that work with young people are discovering the power of
gardening to grow positive and productive people.

"Kids benefit from gardening in many ways. Nurturing plants from seed to
harvest can lead to increased feelings of confidence, self-esteem and pride. In
the garden, kids learn to cooperate and solve problems together," Upson says.
"They learn about the interdependency of all living things and their roles as
caretakers of the earth. Gardening offers a hands-on approach to learning,
making it easier for many students to master skills and concepts involving math,
reading and writing."

Gardening promotes physical health and is a valuable vehicle for teaching
lessons about food and nutrition. An entrepreneurial spirit is engendered in kids
who participate in market gardening programs in which they have the
opportunity to sell what they grow.

"Last but not least, gardening instills an appreciation for agriculture and
its importance in providing food and fiber for a growing world population," he

Upson has had the opportunity to assist with the design and implementation of
several youth garden projects in Oklahoma, and has experienced firsthand the
value of these programs.

One such project is the Community Bootstrap Garden, operated by the Martin
Luther King Outreach Center in Ardmore, Okla. This gardening program offers
summer employment opportunities for area young people. The mission of the
Bootstrap Garden is to foster the development of a work ethic, self-esteem,
citizenship, leadership and entrepreneurial spirit among at-risk youth through
involvement in all aspects of growing and marketing high-value crops.

"Said another way, participants don't just grow plants — they grow
character," Upson says.

The Chickasaw Nation Community Garden located in Ada, Okla., is modeled after
Ardmore's Bootstrap Garden. In existence for less than a year, the garden
provides employment opportunities for area youth. Produce is sold to the general
public and is used in the Chickasaw Nutrition Program.

Numerous school-sponsored garden programs currently operate in Oklahoma.
These gardens range in size and sophistication, depending on the number of
participating students and the goals and objectives of the faculty. Perhaps you have
a child, or know of a child, involved in such a program.

"The most critical component of any youth gardening program is supervision. I
am aware of several youth gardens that are no longer functioning because of a
lack of supervision," Upson says. "If you enjoy gardening and care about
young people, consider volunteering your time at a local school or summer
gardening program. Your participation will be sincerely appreciated."

If you are interested in learning more about youth gardening opportunities,
need assistance organizing a youth garden or need help designing a youth
garden, call Upson at (580) 223-5810.

"Remember, kids are like gardens — they tend to grow on you," Upson says.

The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, headquartered in Ardmore, Okla., is a
non-profit organization conducting agricultural, forage biotechnological, and
plant biology research; providing grants to numerous non-profit charitable,
educational and health organizations; and assisting farmers and ranchers through
educational and consultative agricultural programs.

To learn more, visit the Noble Foundation Web site at http://www.noble.org.

3) Lucy K. Brandley's "Miracle Garden" in Maricopa, AZ <A
HREF="http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/youth/mirgdold.htm";>Miracle Garden</A>

4) Master Gardener programs in many states usually have some good souls who
work with at-risk youth. Here is a link to the Oregon State program:  <A
Mst. Gdn. Impact</A> . This paragraph looks interesting:

" For the past two summers, Master Gardeners in Marion County worked with
at-risk teenagers in the "World of Work" employment program. Under the guidance
of Master Gardeners, urban teens learned life and job skills while growing,
tending, and harvesting a community demonstration garden"

You may want to persue this further with
Ann Marie VanderZanden
State Master Gardener Program Coordinator
College of Agricultural Sciences
Oregon State University
email: vanderza@bcc.orst.edu

5) A Mississippi Youth Gardening Program for Youth in a Military Type
program: <A HREF="http://msucares.com/news/print/lgnews/lg00/001023lt.htm";>
Mastergardeners /Youth Boot Camp</A>

<< Subj:     [cg] Statistics on successful youth gardening programs