Visit to the Clinton Community Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Visit to the Clinton Community Garden
  • From: Barbara Wenger <blwenger@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:11:39 -0700

This list serve has been my source of joy, support, and inspiration over the
years.  In fact, this month, on our college tour trip to the East Coast from
San Francisco, my son and I got to visit one of my heroes, Adam Honigman in
the Clinton Community Garden in New York City.

Unloading our gear in an air conditioned hotel room, we immediately took off
for the Clinton Community Garden. It was one of those sweltering hot New
York summer days, were beads of sweat formed without much effort or
movement.  A far cry from the cooling breezes of San Francisco Bay.  It
takes hearty souls to live in this amazing, challenging, and always
rewarding New York metropolis!

Through arrangement, Adam met us at the garden gate.  It was great to met
the man behind those insightful e-mails.  Graciously he gave us a tour,
pointing out the native areas, unusual flowers and plants, and the community
plots, all the while answering my questions and talking with residents
lounging in the park with their children.

After giving me a gift of hollyhock seeds (how did he know these were my
favorites and most challenging to grow in our gardens!), he took us on a
tour of the Hell's Kitchen/Clinton neighborhood, pointing out the City's
other open spaces.

We came away feeling the history of the neighborhood, the struggles to begin
the garden, and the challenges to maintain it.  When people come together
and make a commitment, amazing things can happen!  What years of work and
continued effort!

Great bows of respect and admiration to you Adam, and the many like you
throughout the world who live their passion with each careful touch of the
earth and great intention.

Thank you again!

Barb Wenger, Hayes Valley Neighborhood PARKS Group
San Francisco, CA