RE: Fwd: thesis on community gardening (Crystal Taylor)

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Fwd: thesis on community gardening (Crystal Taylor)
  • From: "Tom Dietrich" <tdietrich@metroparks.org>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:54:55 -0400

Dear Crystal Taylor:

Here's a couple items that related c.g. to planning with a focus on
sustaining urban neighborhoods.  I don't know if that's the meaning of
"sustainable" that you intended.  Hope it helps.

Tom

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors

Pothukuchi, Kameshwari and Jerome L. Kaufman. ?The Food System: A Stranger
to the Planning Field.? Journal of the American Planning Association. Vol.
66, No. 2, Spring 2000. Article available online at
http://www.cityfarmer.org/foodplan.html.
Analyzes why planners pay little attention to food issues, and presents
reasons and ideas for planning involvement to strengthen community food
systems.

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Human-Environment Research
Laboratory. Frances E. Kuo & William C. Sullivan, Directors. A
multidisciplinary research laboratory dedicated to studying the
relationships between people and the environments they inhabit.
Web site provides information about  impact of gardening and green spaces on
crime, violence, education, poverty. Technical bulletins and scientific
articles available. www.herl.uiuc.edu