organic matter for gardens

  • Subject: [cg] organic matter for gardens
  • From: Minifarms@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:33:24 EDT

One of the best sources for organic matter for gardens is the bedding from
horse stalls and the owners are looking for someone to take it.  My  daughter
and family moved to Guthrie OK and we made four beds using 8" of
sawdust/manure from horse stalls.  We added cottonseed meal for N and by  keeping it wet,
by next spring, it will be great for gardening.  It should  be composted before
using it in an established garden.  I have used it  fresh for a mulch on
tomatoes and in Kenya, the soil was so bad we used it  fresh, dig it into the soil
and planted a crop. It worked.  Sometimes you  can break the rules.
The key to good soil is increasing the organic matter and horse stalls have
an unlimited supply, free, to anyone who will get it.  Some use hay/straw,
etc.  Hope this helps you garden.
Ken Hargesheimer