Gardening and Food Policy Conference

  • Subject: [cg] Gardening and Food Policy Conference
  • From: "MARLIESE FRANKLIN" upupleap@gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 06:44:46 -0700

  Greetings to all of you interested in state and local food policy
councils.  I am writing to share with you information about the national
conference "Gardens for All: People, Plants and Policy"  we are sponsoring
here at Drake in September though the Agricultural Law Center's initiative
on state and local food policy.   I know many of you are avid gardeners and
are involved with projects involving some aspect of gardening.  I have the
honor to serve as chair for the National Gardening Association - and am
pleased Drake is able to partner with the NGA on this conference.  The NGA
has established a web page and will be housing the conference info and
registration process through it.

The link  to the pdf is
The conference web site is at http://www.gardenpolicy.org

Many of you have been able to attend our state and local food policy
conferences in the past and I hope you will consider coming to Des Moines
again this year.  Steve Cohen from the Portland-Multnomah council is on the
agenda to help attendees consider the role of food policy councils in
helping communities promote sound garden policy.  Any help you can offer in
spreading the word about the conference and in helping get people to attend
will be greatly welcomed.  The conference may be of interest to many of your
members.  I hope to see you in September!!  Let me know if you have
comments, questions or suggestions.   Neil

PS - if you want a paragraph to use to describe the conference in any
newsletter etc - here is a possibility.

*National Garden Policy Conference at Drake University - Sept. 7 and 8th*
The Agricultural Law Center at Drake University and the National Gardening
Association have organized a two day conference "Gardens for All: People,
Plants and Policy" to be held in Des Moines on September 7th and 8th.   This
historic conference will take a comprehensive look at the role of federal,
state and local policy in shaping gardening in the U.S.  More than 25
speakers from across the nation will examine such topics as school gardens,
community gardens, the role of gardening in health and wellness, and food
security and gardening.  For more information about the conference and how
to register, please go to
http://www.gardenpolicy.or <http://www.gardenpolicy.org/>