Nevada - Green thumb; charitable heart

  • Subject: [cg] Nevada - Green thumb; charitable heart
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:16:33 -0700 (PDT)

Nevada Appeal, Carson City, Nevada
August 8,2006

Jarid Shipley
Appeal Staff Writer, jshipley@nevadaappeal.com
August 7, 2006

Green thumb; charitable heart
Carson City gardener supplies FISH with fresh produce

Tom Streenan, of Carson City, has been a gardening for
more than 50 years and has donated more than 40 pounds
of produce from the Carson City Community Gardens to
FISH.

Tom Streenan, of Carson City, is using his plot at the
Carson City Community Gardens to grow what he hopes
will be a huge pumpkin.

As he waits for the gourd to grow, Streenan figured
he'd spend his free-time benefiting the community that
provided him his plot of land.

"I saw that some of the community plots needed
watering and weeding so I figured I'd help out,"
Streenan said.

When the plants started producing squash, beans and
tomatoes earlier this summer, Streenan harvested them
and donated the produce to FISH. To date, more than 40
pounds have been donated from the community garden.

Streenan said he doesn't mind helping out, in fact
that's part of the drive that has kept him gardening
for more than 50 years.

"I started in San Diego and just kept doing it when I
came here," Streenan said. "It's definitely a
different climate here - you have to deal with the
cold."

Streenan uses the community garden as a way to
continue to tend for plants, grow vegetables and be
around other gardeners.

"My wife is from England and they are big on community
gardens over there, so I figured it might be good to
do," Streenan said.

Streenan estimates that more than 80 pounds of produce
could end up being donated, depending on how the
plants produce and when the first freeze happens.

"The more you pick from them, the more the plants will
produce," he said.

He is hoping the cold weather holds off as long as
possible, giving his pumpkins an extended chance to
grow.

When he does harvest it, the pumpkin will be donated
to a local elementary school for Halloween.

#