Short-term Research/Planning Opportunity

  • Subject: [cg] Short-term Research/Planning Opportunity
  • From: Paul Van Ryzin paul.vanryzin@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:29:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

  Anyone interested in helping with a food system planning project in the U.S. Territory of American Samoa?

  I'm sending out a DRAFT advertisement that will be posted locally soon. I wanted to give any interested parties a 'heads-up' early on, since some unusual arrangements may be required to prepare for overseas work.

  The small non-profit corporation I serve, the American Samoa Resource Conservation and Development Council, is seeking a Project Assistant to conduct research, help administer a food security survey, work with a team of academic and government advisors, write a report and produce thematic maps...etc. Please see the attachment.

  The work period is fairly flexible. We are aiming for 1/2-time employment between December and May 07, but the advisory team might consider full-time for a 3-month period, with some limitations on the timing of those months (or possibly some other arrangement). A stipend will be paid in the amount of $8,000. We may be able to arrange very low-cost housing, depending on the person, and his/her willingness to live with a local family. Food costs are somewhat higher than in the continental U.S., but not much more. Local transportation options are plentiful, and expenses will be reimbursed. The one major expense that is not reimbursed, however, is the flight to the Territory. This runs about $1500 round trip.

  We are hoping to find someone with food system planning experience, and demonstrated experience in a multi-cultural setting. English is considered the primary business language, so fluency in Samoan is not required. Could be an exciting opportunity for a sabbatical, break from a degree program, or part of a thesis project. The people of American Samoa are very friendly, it is a very safe place to live and work, and of course it is absolutely beautiful. The local hospital is adequate and very inexpensive for routine medical services, although major medical procedures are usually conducted in Hawaii.

  Please contact me by email if you're interested. We're one hour behind Hawaii time, in case you care to call. The advisory team hopes to select someone by the end of October.

  Thanks,

  Paul

  Paul Van Ryzin
  RC&D Coordinator, USDA-NRCS, serving the
  American Samoa Resource Conservation and Development Council, Inc.
  Pago Plaza, Suite 213
  PO BOX 5169
  Pago Pago, AS 96799

  684-633-1031 x 36 office
  paul.vanryzin@pb.usda.gov

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1"/min.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of PROJECT ASSISTANT advertisement.doc]