a little technical tip

  • Subject: [cg] a little technical tip
  • From: Jennifer L Barricklow barricklow@juno.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:04:26 -0400

Hello, everyone!

In the interest of making this list useful and friendly to as many users
as possible, I would like to remind folks who receive the list in digest
form to choose the "do not include message in reply" option when
responding. If your e-mail application doesn't ask you this question when
you click "reply" and you don't know how to change this setting, just
make sure to delete all but the most recent and relevant portion of the
thread (a series of messages on a single topic) from your reply before

For my part, I'm delighted to know that CG is getting so much press these
days, even if I don't have time to read all the articles. Although I
understand the advantages of simply including the URL rather than the
text of a story, I know that I would almost never take the time to check
most of them out. I don't mind scrolling through the articles because it
gives me a chance to scan them. One possible option would be to include
the URL and just the first paragraph or two--a well-written article
should hook the reader in the first sentence, and the first paragraph or
so should contain enough information to allow the reader to decide if the
rest of the piece is sufficiently interesting to keep reading. That works
on other lists to which I subscribe, even for someone as lazy as I am.

Thanks, everyone, for your hard work and dedication, both to CG in
general and to this forum!

Jennifer Barricklow
Lexington KY