Re: question about butterflies

  • Subject: Re: [cg] question about butterflies
  • From: chandelle.ross@gsa.gov
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:57:58 -0500

My backyard is certified as a National Wildlife Federation Backyard
Wildlife Habitat with an emphasis on butterflies and hummingbirds.  I grow
the following annuals which are very easy to grow from seed and attract
butterflies and hummingbirds as well as finches:

Zinnias--very easy to grow from seed, use the singles rather than the
doubles.
Mexican sunflowers--easy to grow from seed.

The following perenials attract both butterfly and hummingbirds and are
easy to grow:

purple coneflower--Magnus is the most attractive

Bee Balm

If you want to attract Monarchs, let those milk weed vines flower.  I used
to pull them up, then I read an article stating that Monarchs are having
problems finding enough food due to herbicides.  Now I let the vines grow
and flower, I have a lot of Monarchs visiting every day.

             "Emily"
             <emilyholiday@gma                                          To
             il.com>                   community_garden@mallorn.com
             community_garden-
             admin@mallorn.com                                     Subject
                                       [cg] question about butterflies

             08/23/2006 09:08
             AM

             Please respond to
                  "Emily"
             <emilyholiday@gma
                  il.com>

Does anyone have any tips on what flowers to plant next spring to attact
lots of butterflies to our community garden plot? My 7 year old son is
fascinated by butterflies this summer, and I'm hoping that he still will be

next summer too, and while it's too late in the season to plant new stuff
in
our plot this year, I'd like to plan ahead for next year.

THANKS!