Florida - Community garden provides friendship and bounty

  • Subject: [cg] Florida - Community garden provides friendship and bounty
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:45:24 -0700 (PDT)

Tallahassee Democrat, Florida
August 23, 2006

Garden provides smiles as well as tasty bounty
By Susan Cerulean

August isn't the best month to check out the community
vegetable garden up the street. The tomato plants are
sagging like torn brown fabric on their wire baskets.
But you should have seen them in June. Our family
harvested hundreds of pounds of Romas and Better Boys
from just six plants in our neighbors' spacious front

This bounty is courtesy of our generous friends Barry
Fraser and Lucy Ann Walker-Fraser, who moved into town
from Killearn Lakes in 2004. As Heart of the Earth
council members intent on reducing their use of
nonrenewable energy sources, their primary motivation
was to save gas and travel time to their downtown
But as Barry began to study his new oversized lot,
unusually sunny and well-drained for shady Indianhead
Acres, he thought "Since we have all this space, why
not share it?" This was great news for my family. We
live just five houses down the street, but our lot
sits in the flood plain of Koucky Creek. The damp soil
coupled with deep shade had meant no vegetable garden
for us.

Two years ago, five families got together and
excavated 15 sizable garden beds in the Frasers'
emerald sea of St. Augustine.

At the end of the day, the garden is a great place to
grab dinner fixings, but I also look forward to
talking with Carolyn, who might be harvesting basil in
her broad-trimmed straw hat, or David, unloading a
pile of bagged leaves he picked up nearby for our
joint supply of mulch.

We've found that community gardening means putting our
heads together to find out what grows best and when.
The garden allows us to marvel about an especially
tasty lettuce and shudder over a certain superabundant
squash. We like that we're saving the costly fossil
fuels that transport supermarket vegetables from all
over the globe. But most of all, we just like each other.