Re: Suggestions for Flower Show

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Suggestions for Flower Show
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:11:16 -0400

Hmmm...

To show a  community garden in 400 sq feet at a garden show, in miniature....-

Elements that I'd have would be a small raised bed with a plank like seat, long handed tools, and perhaps a crutch or wheelchair next to it, with a colorful garden bag slung from it with a worn, but cheeful garden hat, and an Desert fatigue slouch hat with badges from the 82nd Airborne, or a Marine Outfit And a stack of brochures on the bench from the American  Horticultural Therapy Association, and Disabled American Veterans - and very colorful flowers - a cheerful knockout.

And I'd have a children's bed, with a Raggedy Ann/Andy Scarecrow, and seed package plant markers, and signs written by a child in crayon, but hit with water enough to look like it had been out in the season. If you can get a sunflower to bloom for the show, that would say, "kid," with signs that say "GROW CARROT GROW!!

And I'd have a small section of veggies, in a row, called " GROW A ROW FOR THE HUNGRY" , with some bell jars, and a crate, and perhaps a flyer from a food bank and some pictures and statistics about hunger in America....

And I'd show a garden bench - with and a bulletin board, with news of a garden, the American Community Gardening Association, and some inspirational news articles on community gardening, like the kind we share here on the listserv ;)

And maybe the phrases, "community gardening is 50% gardening and 100% politics," "growing  community from the ground up."

And I'd show a garden fence - On one side would be syringes, broken bottles, crack vile and an overturned  garbage can, with perhaps a television set playing riots, fires, hunger and urban problems in a video loop., And on the other side of the fence, there would be a virtual riot of hollyhocks roses, irises, a few sunflowers, the garden sign and the legend, "Community Gardens Save  the World."

But whatever you do Fred, it will be great, because you are the best.

Regards,
Adam Honigman
Gardener from this small island on the Right Coast....