Re: vandalism

What work for us:
1. Always establish gardens where they can be seen, by those who love
your project.  It is best when some of the gardeners can see the project
from a window of their house.
2. Break down the inclusive/exclusive boundaries in the community by
finding ways to include everyone.  Share, invite, ...
3. Repair the work of vandals so quickly that no one gets to see their
work.
4. If vegetables are being stolen, dust the plants heavily with a white
powder, like wheat flour, to make them look poisoned.
5. We have a mobile police van that will sometimes park on a certain
street if we ask them too.
6. Much "vandalism" is just children playing. Find ways to keep children
for seeing the garden as a play site, or develop other recreation,
attractions in the area.
7. Get media attentions for how important the project is to the
community, but try to keep vandalism stories out of the papers.  Only
positive PR.
I am sure that every garden program can give you more ideas.  Good luck
Don Lambert, Gardeners in Community Development.
Mary Laycock wrote:

> I am seeking any information that may help our garden club combat
> vandalism.  I am interested to hear how other gardens have dealt with
> this issue, as well as ideas others may what to share.
>
> Jennifer

Dawn M. Ripley
County Extension Agent for Urban Programs	(502) 425-4482
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service	(502) 425-0109 (fax)
8012 Vinecrest Avenue, Suite 1			ripley@iglou.com (home)
Louisville, Kentucky 40222-4690			dripley@ca.uky.edu (work)