From: Adam36055@aol.com [mailto:Adam36055@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 10:35 AM
To: garlicgr@pond.com; community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: [cg] donating xmas trees

Hilary, Dorene et al. ( Gee, day off from work and I'm going on like a

In addition to Dorene's stellar advice, I'd add the option of including with

the thank you letter an additional form on your letterhead  stating the
nature of the gift ( i.e. 1 pear tree with partridge, 5 golden rings) but
leaving the valuation of the gift blank.  A non-monetary contribution is
technically called a "Gift-In-Kind" and is best valuated by the giver. This
keeps the recipient of the non-monetary gift out of any possible
controversies with the IRS. This kind of honor system is used by The
Salvation Army, for example, for gifts in kind.

Always stroke contributors, let them feel that they are members of the
community. Who knows, maybe the guy donating the picnic table  may help with

the tulip planting in the fall?

Happy Gardening,