RE: New York Gardeners . . .

Mike,

From your inquiry, I wasnt't sure if your buddy was a vocational or
avocational gardener and needed contacts to send resumes to or if she, like
most of us, was looking for community gardening opportunities in the big
apple.

Here are some places for her to check out. Once she gets settled, have her
give me a call at the number below and I'll try to give her any current
leads I have:

Earth Celebrations are artists and garden activists and are always looking
for volunteers and puppet makers. I love these guys:

http://www.earthcelebrations.com/

Green Guerillas:

http://users.rcn.com/ggsnyc/

The Neighborhood Open Space Coallition:

http://www.treebranch.com/nosc/

The NYC Council on the Environment ( this is a semi public NYC agency that
runs the city's farmer's markets - the Greenmarkets and Green Thumb, a
greening and community gardening.)
http://www.cenyc.org/

The Trust for Public Land ( our hero, these folks helped us raise money to
save the Clinton Community Garden back in the early '80s)

http://www.igc.apc.org/tpl/

Bette Midler's Community Gardening/Parks group, NY Restoration:

http://www.nyrp.org/

NYC Parks and Recreation. This may be a place for her to send her resume,
etc:

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dpr/

The East Village "More Gardens" Organization"

http://www.moregardens.org/

These are botanical gardens that may be looking for professional hands. The
NY Horticultural Society runs the NY Botanical Garden which has a community
gardening arm called Bronx Green-Up.  I haven't heard of any recent postings
but who knows?

Wave Hill is a drop dead gorgeous garden. The CCG bee guy also volunteers at
Wave hill:
http://www.wavehill.org/

The NY Botanical Garden is a world class horticultural garden  and research
organization:

http://www.nybg.org/

Equally world famous is the Brooklyn Botanic Garden:

http://www.bbg.org/

Here are some general information NYC sites:

The NYU/Taub Urban Studies:

http://urban.nyu.edu/

The truly amazing Gotham Gazette site:

http://gothamgazette.com/civics/

The NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/

The NY Observer:

http://www.observer.com/index_go.html

For when we finally get on-line again The Clinton Community Garden:

http:www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Best wishes and happy gardening,

Adam Honigman
Bowne Publishing Division