  • Subject: [cg] Contribution
  • From: KLBoyer56@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:03:10 EST

Dear Community Gardeners,
When a gardener at our community gardens decides to move on we are told to
cover it with black plastic until it is selected by a new gardener.

I know that the reason for this is weed supression.

It is my thought to spread about five inches of straw on the garden plot and
that will cut weed growth during the winter period.  It will also protect the
soil and the soil organisms that hold so many mysteries for us.  I think we
need the soil to inhale and drink up the waters during the fall and winter.
Covering it with black plastic seems harmful.
How can I influence my co-workers and the garden managers tackfully.
KB in Pleasant Hill, CA