Bronx Bulldozer Alert from Aresh of Earth Celebrations

  • Subject: [cg] Bronx Bulldozer Alert from Aresh of Earth Celebrations
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 22:00:38 EST

Friends,

You know my buddy Aresh from his Earth Celebrations gig.  The following post
shows you how down and dirty gardening can get during the off-season.

Glossary of terms:

1) HPD = NYC Department of Housing, Preservation and Development.

2) Green Thumb = NYC Parks Greenthumb ( a federally funded NYC Parks
community garden and open space greening support agency.) ACGA Board Member ,
Edie Stone, is the Green Thumb director.

In a message dated 12/7/01 8:39:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aresh@moregardens.org writes:

<<
> [...]

 > 1989,
 > and again had a GreenThumb lease and classification.  In 1992, he was
 > told to
 > leave again.  And that land was allowed to rot away for 2 more years,
 > till
 > 1994 when they built something there.
 >
 > In 1992, he put Cabo Rojo on 158th and Elton.  5 years later HPD came
 > and
 > bulldozed the garden.  No request to leave this time, they just came
 > and did
 > their dirty work.  At this point, Greenthumb gave him transfer papers
 > to move
 > his garden to 159th and Courtlandt.  Even HPD, at that time, gave him
 > understand that he would be okay there.  They said, "Just keep the
 > place
 > clean."
 >
 > That's the site where Cabo Rojo is now.  Just 2 years ago, he even
 > received a
 > Greenthumb sign.  He also was given plants and soil by Greenthumb, and
 > had
 > every reason to assume that the garden was properly designated as a
 > Greenthumb garden, protected by the T.R.O. that Attorney General
 > Spitzer
 > obtained for all the Greenthumb gardens after the loss of Esperanza in
 >
 > February of 2000.  A few months ago, HPD showed up in Cabo Rojo and
 > told Luis
 > to get ready to move out.  They were threatening arrests.  After doing
 > some
 > investigation, he learned that there was a beaurocratic error and that
 > his
 > garden was not covered as a Greenthumb garden after all.  So he had no
 > way to
 > protect it.
 > It is important to realize that this garden has not gone through the
 > City administration's ULURP process which looks at the merits of the
 > land before it is built on. Thus the garden will be destroyed like the
 > other gardens he was at without a legal plan for its development.
 >
 > Luis was ready to let it all go this time.  He was talking about
 > moving back
 > to Puerto Rico.  Today he told Aresh about what the garden was like in
 > the
 > summertime.  It's near a school, P.S. 29, and the third-graders had
 > plant-boxes in which they put carrots, beans and corn.  There's also a
 > daycare
 > center nearby and the little ones, 4 and 5 years old, planted as
 > well.  There
 > were barbecues for all the neighbors.  Lots of trees, a large and
 > beautiful
 > place.  Celebrations and friendliness.
 >
 > Well, now Luis is ready to take a stand for his garden and the other
 > gardens in the city.  He is welcoming and blessing
 > our visit on Sunday and all night long, into Monday morning.  I hope
 > you can
 > come, and spread the word to others as well. >>

--- Begin Message ---

> [...]

> moving back
> to Puerto Rico.  Today he told Aresh about what the garden was like in
> the
> summertime.  It's near a school, P.S. 29, and the third-graders had
> plant-boxes in which they put carrots, beans and corn.  There's also a
> daycare
> center nearby and the little ones, 4 and 5 years old, planted as
> well.  There
> were barbecues for all the neighbors.  Lots of trees, a large and
> beautiful
> place.  Celebrations and friendliness.
>
> Well, now Luis is ready to take a stand for his garden and the other
> gardens in the city.  He is welcoming and blessing
> our visit on Sunday and all night long, into Monday morning.  I hope
> you can
> come, and spread the word to others as well.

in Danger, Early Morning, Mon. Dec. 10th</font></b>

a neighborhood in the South Bronx, has 16 Endangered Gardens Amidst Hundreds
of Vacant Lands.
after being moved 3 times (see longer story below). Up until a few weeks
ago, HPD was not planning to develop the garden but then HPD discovered
that by some beaurocratic error it had never officially been made into
a  Green Thumb Garden. There are copies of the transfer papers and
GreenThumb has been working with the garden, bringing soil and a new sign
recently to the Gardener Luis. HPD goons have threatened Luis with arrest
and have said they are sending the bulldozers to destroy the garden on
Monday even though they haven't gotten permission through City Hall to
build on it yet. We need everyone to come and help save this garden and
celebrate the green life it has brought to the community.
decorating the garden, etc</b>
Monday Morning</b>
5-6am Bulldozer Alert    6.30 am Press Conference</font></b>
north to 159th St. Take a left one block to Courtlandt St. to the garden.
named
and on Monday
to make a
chance to get
know
159th
for the
at
that early
can
Collin
in 1989.  Then
last year.)
1989,
he was told to
years, till
came and
came and did
papers to move
him to
the place
received a
and had
in
and told Luis
After doing some
his
had no way to
City administration's ULURP process which looks at the merits of the land
before it is built on. Thus the garden will be destroyed like the other
gardens he was at without a legal plan for its development.
moving back
like in the
had
also a daycare
There
and beautiful
gardens in the city.  He is welcoming and blessing
I hope you can

the e-mail.

If you have any questions about or problems with this mailing list,
please send e-mail to the list moderator dave lutz at
"dave.lutz@treebranch.com".