Re: Garden songs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Garden songs
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:58:50 EST

Garden songs? For starters, of course, there is The Garden Song by Dave
Mallett, a wonderful song indeed. Then there is all the good stuff by the
Banana Slug String Band, especially Dirt Made My Lunch and Decomposition (and
I'm A Tree, and lots lots more). Then there are oodles of folk songs and
ecology songs. I'd pick up a copy of 'Rise Up Singing' and poke around in
there. Even Raffi has a nice one, Evergreen ever blue. I like singing ecology
songs. I like 'Never swat a fly' in the Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band version
(Maria Muldaur does a version, too). Last but not least, right off the top,
is The Carrot Seed, now known as a book but originally it was sort of a sung
story- try to find it. Good luck. Let your folksinger friend know about these
tunes, they are all choice. Mallett has a website (I think Pete Seeger helped
make the song famous), and www.bananaslugstringband.com gets you to the
inimitable Slugs, who are right now having a CD sale.

Have fun,

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC
(who is back in the classroom again (the fool), where his class of 24 third
graders can bellow out Dirt Made My Lunch so loudly it echoes from Asheville
to Charleston.)