Land Acquisition suggestion to to Samuel Feinson

  • Subject: [cg] Land Acquisition suggestion to to Samuel Feinson
  • From: Commgarden@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:54:03 EST

Here are some ideas on obtaining a garden site based on our experience at the
LAS FLORES COMMUNITY GARDEN in Thousand Oaks, California:

After a couple of years' search, we found  our garden on the autonomous
Recreation and Park District's undeveloped land in our region. Also consider
the advantages of incorporating as a non-profit operation.

1. Check with public agencies such as cities (remnant, odd size pieces of
land from road and street widening or realignment), county, special districts
like flood control, cemetary, public works, state highway construction
agencies, autonomous park districts, library systems, school districts,
federal state and local agency periodic sales or auctions of surplus land.
2. Private and religious land owners who can give written assurances that
their unused land will be available for at least five years.
3. A mutually beneficial agreement with a nursing home or a Veterans
clinic, military hospital, long term care hospital  or retirement home.
4. Surplus military land from a closed base.
5. Private conservation groups

I hope this helps.

Don Jacobs, President of The Community Gardens of The Flowers, Inc.