good community garden book

  • Subject: [cg] good community garden book
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:54:01 -0500

Warning, some of the older books are good but as we discovered last
Wednesday at the "Woody Ornamentals" master gardeners class lots of what
passed for knowledge has been tested by your local Agricultural College and
is found wanting.

We were told about taproots and the real way trees get food.  The same thing
applies to gardening for our food.  Check with the Rodale site (marigolds
get rid of nematodes according to Rodale but not all nematodes are bad) and
also check with Penn State and Cornell University for up to date advice.  (I
added the Rodale site because I support natural farming)  The agricultural
departments call it "Integrated Pest Management Gardening" and try to tell
people to use as little chemical stuff as possible.  It amazes me to have
the idea of compost being the best amendment for your soil being pushed hard
by Penn State people.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely