RE: county/city funding

  • Subject: RE: [cg] county/city funding
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:03:02 -0500

My guess is that most US community gardening groups receive very little, if anything, in the way of direct city or council funding and more in the way of in-kind, facility use or resource sharing ( trucks, soil amendment, use of personnel.) Funding for community gardens during the seventies was part of the Federal Urban Agriculture program sponsored by Fred Richmond and others. When these funds dried up during the 80's, much of the support money for these community gardens became privatized

In NYC, Green Thumb is under the aegis of the NYC Parks Dept but is funded  by federal Community Development Block Grants.  If this budget line dries up, the largest municipal community garden support organization in the country could go away. With NYC Parks already critically underfunded ( less than .4% of the NYC budget and shrinking) I don't see where Green Thumb funding would come from. New York Restoration, a private not-for-profit greening group that supports community gardens and other projects, uses Vista workers, a federally funded program.  But this is , again, in-kind, and not a city budget line.

Maybe some Canadian cities throw money at community gardens, but I've heard rumblings of garden program municipal funding cuts in Montreal.

Good luck,