Teaching Master Gardeners to care about hunger in America.

  • Subject: [cg] Teaching Master Gardeners to care about hunger in America.
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:07:48 EST

Like many of us, my belly has just stopped aching from all I stuffed into it over the Thanksgiving weekend gorge. Back to my long walks and yoghurt! However, for an increasing group of Americans, hunger remains a daily companion.

This was a weekend off for me from my local soup kitchen and pantry ( I volunteer several Sunday's during the year at my synagogue) because, bless them, there are always more volunteers around to ladle out food during Thanksgiving and the Holiday season. A few good volunteers trickle down from these holiday period efforts, usually those who are able to focus their eyes from themselves, i.e., "how good I am to be doing this!," to others, those who really see the mothers and children who grab the bags of food, collect the cans in the pantry, or say a blessing with their families at the long tables in church, mosque and synagogue basements as the steaming food is ladled out and plated.

Some newbies are brave enough to acknowlege the pain and privations of others or visualize themselves on the receiving end of the food donation bag.

It's the same with master gardeners who can be reached out to, like any volunteer, with charm, stealth, guile and tugging at the unclogged parts of their hearts.

Jim and friends - The large master gardener organizations will never really endorse giving their time to help teach poor people how to grow food....that's not their focus, really. However, small groups of people culled from these groups can be created. And yes they get a t-shirt.

Some t-shirt captions: "Master Gardener Hunger Fighter"  or "Master Gardener Community Builder" - both captions could appear in a large heart, or an inverted triangle similar to Superman's "S."

We're looking for the "Winter Soldiers", to get the master gardeners who for whatever reason still care about people as much as they love and nuture plants.

All the best to you all, especially the hunger fighters,

Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: [cg] Master Gardeners as a CG resource