RE: offering tilling as part of community garden services

  • Subject: [cg] RE: offering tilling as part of community garden services
  • From: "Tom Dietrich" tdietrich@metroparks.org
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:54:03 -0500

Marci:

This is a difficulty for our small program as well (24 gardens and 2 full
time staff).  We have discussed it with gardeners and they feel that the
tilling is one of the most valuable services that we offer to established
gardens.  So despite all the gripes and "when are you going to..." calls,
they are generally happy for the service.  We do limit each garden to one
tilling in spring and a fall plow down.

My question to you is are you trying to offset cost of staff time or to
encourage more independence?  I have a feeling that if you actually charged
the cost of your staff time, it would be more than gardeners want to pay
(?).  I know some cg programs do hire out the service though.  Maybe they
will reply too.

Good luck.

Tom Dietrich
Grow With Your Neighbors