Get Your Garden in the News!

  • Subject: [cg] Get Your Garden in the News!
  • From: ALotinCommon@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:44:17 EST

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year, fellow ACGA members!  Now that I have a
firm date that my community gardening TV documentary "A Lot in Common" will be
fed to public television stations nationally via satellite, I'm asking anyone
so inclined to contact their PBS stations to express local interest in seeing
community gardening promoted in this way.  Once the public TV station in your
area has been convinced to record the feed and broadcast the show, your garden
or group can send a press release to newspapers, radio and other TV stations
about the "news" of the airdate to generate publicity about your own activities
happening around the same time, which won't be until Spring or Summer.  A
sample press release can be found on the website, http://www.ALotinCommon.com

I have names and contact numbers for public TV programmers in all the major
television markets in the country, and would be happy to send your programmer's
info to you, if you are interested in personalizing the form letter below by
including information about your garden into it before forwarding it along.
With the New Year upon us, the sooner this contact can be made, the better.
The satellite feed date is January 18.  Also, please feel free to call me if
you'd like to talk further about ideas for a larger publicity campaign like the
one we mounted here in San Francisco.

ACGA has been a tremendous help to me on this project, and I so appreciate
the Board's permission and approval to approach you all in this way.  Now in
return, I hope the TV show can be a help to this great organization.  Sincerely,
Rick Bacigalupi, producer & ACGA member 415-282-0340

P.S.  In the spirit of full disclosure I'd like to add that at no time will I
 have been paid for the production or PTV distribution of my show.  It is
possible that a very small fraction of my monetary investment may be recouped
through ancillary sales of video tapes, announced at the end of the show, after
the ACGA website is promoted.  But I'm not betting on it!  Thanks.
To:  Program Manager
       Public Television station
cc:  Community or Public Affairs Director

Dear Program Manager,
      We at (Local community gardening organization) would like to call your
attention to the National Educational Television Association’s (NETA)
satellite feed of the independent documentary, “A Lot in Common,” scheduled for next
month, January 18, 2004, 2100-2200/513.  This documentary resonates closely
with the interests of our membership and we urge you to record the feed and
consider scheduling the program for broadcast during the Spring or Summer months.
A great time to air the show would be when gardens will be coming into bloom
during April, National Gardening Month.  The film is also appropriate for
programming around Earth Day, April 22nd.

    “A Lot in Common” is endorsed by the American Community Gardening
Association, a national membership organization promoting community gardening, urban
greening and neighborhood empowerment.  This is of special interest to
viewers in the (City) area because (why--). Broadcast of the documentary provides a
wonderful opportunity for dialogue about these issues.

    We would be delighted to provide speakers to appear on (TV station’s) or
(affiliated radio station’s) (local public affairs or news program) in
conjunction with the airing of “A Lot in Common,” to explore the local angles on
this pressing national topic.  We especially want to get the word out about
(insert local issues, gardens under threat, good news about garden programs,
anything with an “edge” or conflict will be most attractive).