old growth alternatives

  • Subject: [cg] old growth alternatives
  • From: "Ali Mramor" <amramor@CivicGardenCenter.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:34:00 -0500

We have been using western red cedar to construct raised beds for
sometime now.  it is a great alternative to chemically treated wood
since it possesses it's own anti-fungal properties and such.  but recent
readings on the cedar industry have me concerned that it is not
harvested sustainably and most of the wood cut is old growth, destroying
the temperate rainforests of Canada.

we have used some composite lumber for building compost bins, but we
have come across 2 problems with that:
1)       it's very expensive
2)       it does not come in the size cuts appropriate for raised beds
(at least 2" x 8")

I am looking for some advice as to what alternatives exist.  our
community gardens are all in urban locales, so we must use raised beds
for various reasons.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Ali Mramor
Youth Education Coordinator
Civic Garden Center of Greater Cincinnati
2715 Reading Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45206
ph. 513.221.0981 x11
fx. 513.221.0961

Visit us on the web: http://www.civicgardencenter.org

CGC - Building Community through Gardening