Food and NYC Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Food and NYC Community Gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:56:50 EST

The realpolitik ( the real politics, nitty gritty, nut cutting stuff) of
growing food in NYC on highly overpriced land.

The Clinton Community Garden sits on a third of an acre in mid-Manhattan on
land worth, if it were not permanent Park Land, $5 - $10 Million Dollars.  It
produces about a ton of food a year, in addition to having 5,000 keyholders,
110 garden members and serving a community of 90,000 folks in our Community
Board 4 catchment area, serving as open green space, a bird sanctuary, having a
beehive that produced 150 pounds of honey last year, as well as serving a
multi-ethnic community that would make most folks heads spin.

We have soup kitchens in our neighborhood ( Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen) a
block away from million dollar condos that serve 1,100 people daily.

One of our gardeners is the wife of the minister of Holy Apostle's  and draws
us into that food security effort. And low income gardeners  grow food for
themselves and neigbors who don't have to go to the supermarket as often during
growing month.

9 blocks away from the local Whole Foods in the AOL Time Warner Bldg ( with
40 million dollar condos)  we have folks growing lettuces, until the frost, and
after the frost,  under cloches.

Yes Don, we produce food. But we also live in a highly politicized
environment where we have make deals to do the right thing by working class, poor and
homeless people.  And this politics is a blood sport, not an entertainment -
though some of us have learned to enjoy the rush of playing "chicken," in our
sneakers with the political equivalent of the developer's Abrams tanks.

Understand the politics - in NYC, a full 20 percent of our population is food
insecure. Think 20% of 8,100,000 people......

We have the one of richest congressional districts in the country  on the
upper east side of Manhtattan, between 50th and 96th Streets, and the poorest in
the South Bronx, maybe 3.5  miles away.

Our division of wealth is as extreme as anything out of Dickens, and the soup
kitchen that my synagogue has run on Sundays for the last 20 years started
with just undomiciled men but now serves whole families, including children.

This weekend it will be in the 20s, and I'll be cooking soup in large pots,
and then taking the  vegetable peelings over to the compost bins of my garden,
where many folks grow veggies that feed them as well as seniors and folks in
social service homes in communities.

But to keep land to grow food for people, we have to be part of a political
process or we lose the land.  For example, if you saw all the raised beds that
have been plowed over on Melrose Avenue and 158th Street in the South Bronx (
with some of the fruit trees and shrubs moved to nearby feral lots to be be
planted and turned into new gardens) in an area of extreme poverty, asthma and
polical corruption, you would openly weep as I did, two weeks ago, wrapping
tree and shrub roots, killing mad at a political process that could deprive poor
people of a desperately needed source of fresh food.

To walk into South Bronx grocery stores, is to see the dregs of the corporate
food system sold in small packages at exhorbitant prices if you look at price
per pound. It is the same in Harlem and most communties of color in NYC,
where we are suffering most of our community garden loss.

Much of this is due to what I call the worst kind of black on black crime -
namely venal African and Hispano American politicians and "program directors",
i.e., poverty pimps, who drive from their suburban homes in good cars every
day to their top heavy, inefficient social service programs, versus the working
class and poor people in their communities. This is in addition to the real
estate developers who are building a Bush-type, "ownership" community of three
family townhouses atop community gardens in the Bronx, in which most of the
owners don't live, but are filled by Section 8 tenants.

Section 8 is a Federal Housing Subsidy that is slated for the chopping block
in this second Bush Administration, so I wonder if this new housing will
eventually be abandoned and burned out like the old housing stock was in the 1970s.

So yes, Don, we do care about food. When you and others were bicycled around
NYC during the 2002 convention, you saw the sculptures, the cute casitas, and
the pretty events - an emphasis I didn't entirely agree with.  We even had a
weird Japanese dance concert at the Clinton Community Garden - but maybe we
should have lined up some of the hungry folks we feed here, for your edification,
as well as our native plants and roses.

 I would love to hear about how other parts of this country's community
gardens are dealing with hunger issues.  Maybe you have wheels we can share.

Adam Honigman

Adam Honigman
 Clinton Community Garden