St. Paul Community Gardener Needs NYC Upper East Side, Spanish Harlem CG

  • Subject: [cg] St. Paul Community Gardener Needs NYC Upper East Side, Spanish Harlem CG
  • From: DanMan360@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:16:44 EST

Friends,

I'm having lunch in a midtown restaurant, and the waitress, a Ms. Nichola
Miller ( NicholaMillerJazz@Yahoo.com) says to the party next to me that she's
from Minneapolis St. Paul. To which I say, being me - oh, I'm gonna be there in
August to see some gardens at the ACGA convention.

This led to talking about "Farm in the City," etc. and Nichola's desire, in
the middle of December ( these Minnesotan's are stern stuff) to get to
gardening as soon as possible. This lady's been in the city maybe a few months, and
doesn't know where the gardens are?

I'll include some weblinks in this message, as Nichola is being copied on
this.

Green Thumb: http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/ , Green Guerillas:
http://www.greenguerillas.org/ , Trust for Public Land NYC Garden Stewardship Program:
http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cdl.cfm?content_item_id=12685&folder_id=1805 , NY
Restoration Project: http://www.nyrp.org/ , More Gardens!: http://www.moregardens.org/

But my question is, does anyone know of any east side Manhattan community
gardnens, like in the low 100s, that and open to new blood, and a nice good
gardener from out of town can go to, when it's open, and volunteer?

I'd hate to send Nichola by and have the usual clannish crap, or "not open",
happen to her.  Otherwise I can send her hands over to the Conservatory
Garden to work with the Central Park Conservancy. http://www.centralparknyc.org/ ;
http://www.centralparknyc.org/volunteerjobs/volunteerinfo

Please respond to this list and directly  to NicholaMillerJazz@yahoo.com who
looks to be a good gardener.