New community garden in Redlands, CA w/ support fromcouncilwoman, Wal-Mart donation

  • Subject: [cg] New community garden in Redlands, CA w/ support fromcouncilwoman, Wal-Mart donation
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:59:37 -0800 (PST)

San Bernardino County Sun

Redlands parcel to become garden Plots

By LEONOR VIVANCO
Staff Writer

REDLANDS  Come spring, the winter gloves will be off
and residents can show just how green their thumbs
are.

The 1.8 acres of vacant city-owned land just east of
Texas Street between Lugonia and Pennsylvania avenues
in May will be transformed into a community garden. It
will be the largest in Redlands and the first one on
the city's north side, said Councilwoman Pat
Gilbreath, who is spearheading the project.

"It's important to me because it's a way to utilize
open space in a productive environment," she said.

It'll be a place where residents could relax,
socialize, and grow vegetables and flowers on lots of
20 feet by 28 feet.

"I've always been interested in farming. I basically
handle my frustrations a lot of times by just getting
a shovel and digging in my yard," Gilbreath said.

Although fees for the 30 plots haven't been
established, Gilbreath estimated it would be around
$60 to $80 a year.

The project has taken three years to become a reality
due to lack of funding.

At no cost to the city, the construction of the garden
now is being funded through donations, city officials
said.

Wal-Mart donated $13,500 to the project, and other
funds have been provided through the Redlands
Community Foundation, said Public Works Director Ron
Mutter. That money is going toward sidewalks,
driveways, gates and plumbing.

All gardeners will be responsible for maintaining
their plots.

"This simply provides space for gardeners who do not
have room at home for a garden, live in an apartment,
etc," Mutter said.

The garden, which does not formally have a name but is
being referred to as the north side community garden,
will eventually have a drinking fountain and picnic
area.

"I'm anxious to see it be successful," Gilbreath said.

Also, city officials have discussed including the
garden concept at future park sites.

Gilbreath suggested that another garden might be a
possibility on the site of the sports park, which has
been delayed by the San Bernardino kangaroo rat, a
federal endangered species found on the site.