Cookbooks plus (re: Cook books?)

  • Subject: [cg] Cookbooks plus (re: Cook books?)
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:20:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Fran,

We've had good luck with cookbooks in Charlotte, but
we haven't exactly done 'normal' cookbooks.

'Cultivating Common Ground' has a recipe (or two) from
each of the community gardeners profiled. The book
gives each one's history of growing up in Charlotte
and garden tips, too, all gathered by youth as part of
a community building/oral history project created by
June Blotnick. I think their website still works
www.cultivatingcommonground.org. June and 2 gardeners
from that project came to the ACGA conference in
Chicago in 2003.

Our public library has its own publishing house,
Novelo Press. They did a cookbook called 'Hungry for
Home', in which dozens of NC writers/creative workers
shared a story and a recipe. There are a couple of
community garden-related things in it, including an
essay on food security and cgs (also, a recipe from
James Taylor and some other famous folks). I think
they are at http://www.novellopress.org/. Look around
for 'Hungry for Home'.

Anyway, community gardens are so rich in stories that
you might want to put recipes and stories together.

Don B, Charlotte NC

Fran Fassman" <fassman@nova.edu>