Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #2279 - 4 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #2279 - 4 msgs
  • From: Commgarden@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 01:07:51 EST

Hello, Jack.
Here is what we at the organic Las flores Community Garden in Thousand Oaks,
Californiahave done:
1. We incorporated as a tax-exempt Non-Profit Corporation.   Among other
things, this allows us to obtain sales tax-free purchases of equipment and
supplies AND free organically certified seeds from Seeds of Change. We pay
only the
shipping charge for nearly one hundred packets of vegetable and flower seeds.

      2. We are located on one half acre of land owned by our local
recreation an park district and are governed by a renegiotable five year
called a Memorandum of Understanding .
3. Fees Members currently pay a plot rental fee of forty dollars per year AND
a one-time
refundable plot clean up fee of twenty dollars in case a departing gardener
does not clean up her/his
3. Plot Size: Our garden plots are 10feet by 20 feet. with four foot wide
access paths aroiund all sides.
4. Qualify for and obtain monetary grants to cover all or part of the
insurance that the land owner (in our case, the local, autonomous recreation
and park
district) and for various equipment , supplis and projects.
5.Insurance The land owner requires us to carry a one million dollar policy
in their favor.
We have found only one agent in California who handles insurance for
Insurance in Ojai, California. She found us Federal InsuranceCo. in
Washington, D.C. area.
Our premium has climbed from $950 per year to $1,350 per year in three years
despite the fact
 that we have never filed a claim.   We have been informed that the premium
will probably be higher
for 2006.
   One possible source of relief for us may come from approaching one of the
service clubs where one of our officers is a member.
 6.With previously received grants we have purchased a tool shed,
shovels,rakes hoes, pich forks,a
 combination tiller/mower, first aid kit, among other things.
     Our volunteer garden manager tills the plot for new gardeners.   After
that, those who want to till their plots themselves are instructed by the plot
manager and allowed to do their own-ADULTS ONLY.
7. Soil Amendments We are an organic garden so no toxic chemicals, or
gibberilum containing soil
amendments like Miracle Grow are allowed to be used.
    Members purchase their own approved soil amendments.
8. Staff is all volunteer. We are organized per Roberts Rules of Order with a
President, Vice President, Secretary , Treasurer and Plot Manager.
   We do pay our officers for garden related expenses such as gasoline
reimbursement, postage.

     I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to ask any other
questions that may occur to you.
 Yours for good gardening,

Don Jacobs
Founding President Emeritus