Re: On the Media and Community Gardens

A second vote of support for the notion that as community gardens we have to be aware of and protect ourselves against abuse in the name of the media.

Every type of incident Adam mentioned is very familiar with our garden (6th Street & Avenue B Garden, NYC) and we have enacted very strict rules regarding any filming in the garden. Once you enact these rules most film producers, TV people, fashion photographers and whatnot are usually very willing to abide by them. Those who object would probably be trouble makers anyway.

Here are some of our rules:

1) Every non-news production must make a monetary contribution to the garden. A major movie or TV show must pay going rates for location rentals. Smaller productions we make a case by case assessment. The money must be paid upfront!

2) Every production has to have location insurance! This is really important.

3) Producers must sign an agreement promising to replace anything damaged by the production. Aside from the guarantee you get, this agreement usually makes the production people really careful and very little damage happens.

4) We include money to pay garden members to supervise the production while it's in the garden. Films are a commercial production and we don't expect garden members to volunteer their time for it. The garden sets the rate and gets the money up front. These garden supervisors should be prepared to lay down the law and, if needed, call the police if a film crew abuses the garden. The garden member can donate their salary to the garden if they choose and frequently they do.

We don't make these requests if it's a news or documentary production that will provide positive publicity for the garden and community gardening in general. They are, however, expected to behave themselves and have location insurance.

Before we had the rules all sorts of trouble happened. In addition to the things Adam mentioned which I assume happened in his garden; a music video crew had the rock band they were filming smash our garden furniture around. We didn't know this happened until I saw the video on MTV a year later. An independent production staged a nude scene in the middle of the day. Nude people are OK but not in a public garden.

After we set the rules a few years ago, things are much better. We had major studio film production last October with lights, cables, big cameras and sound equipment all night long and it was a positive experience. The garden made some needed money, a couple of garden members made some extra money and nearly zero damage occurred. The year before a TV sitcom came to the garden for some location footage outside the garden and actually hired some garden members as extras. We've had a number of independent and student films and all have been fine. This year one small crew stayed longer then they should have and they got away without paying extra but that was an exception.

We don't expect a copy of the finished production as we know that even major actors in films have a hard time getting a copy.

Yes, media people frequently act under the delusion that they are gifts from heaven, but when you set reasonable rules a beneficial experience can be had by all.

William Hohauser
President
6th Street & Avenue B Garden,
New York City