More Thank you to Adam

  • Subject: [cg] More Thank you to Adam
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:16:03 -0500

Hi, Folks!

I'm working on my year-end report to the church on the community garden and
I'd like to echo Karen Jones' thanks to Adam Honigman.

Unlike Karen, I've actually met Adam, but the experience has not dimmed my
regard for him! ;-)

2005 was one the hardest years I've ever experienced as a community garden
coordinator.  St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden
started in 1991 and has been at its current location since 1997 -- but if I
hadn't taken Adam's famous line "Community Gardening is 50% gardening and
100% politics" and had his private support through e-mail this year, I can
tell you without a doubt that this community garden would no longer exist.

In the past year and a half, I've had a hired goon sent to scare me off the
community garden's land, managed to be tipped off in spite of a carefully
constructed plan to keep me from knowing that the garden's land was to be
sold, had the community garden's water turned off in the middle of an August
heat wave and when I complained, was told "Why can't you take a hint and
leave" (in relation to the goon, who was later reprimanded, then fired
because he refused to show me ID -- seriously, folks, ALWAYS ask for ID when
approached by anyone who claims to be official -- it wasn't the threats, it
was the refusal to show ID that got this guy in trouble!) and that "You are
the most disagreeable person I've ever met" when I flat out refused to
accept the water shut-off and warned the "person in charge" that neither I
nor the community garden I'd given my life to creating had any incentive but
to stay right where we were and continue to serve the community.

Luckily, by following Adam's advice, the garden has bipartisian political
support from a County Commissioner, the State Representative and a Borough
Planning Commission member who receive biweekly updates in season about how
the garden and labyrinth are doing.  In spite of huge development pressures
here in Chester County, I was able to get immediate support (the
Commissioner, who is a huge agriculture supporter, didn't take the water
shutoff in August well at all!) from all these folks each time the garden
was threatened.  Now, it's not over yet, but these political folks are
seriously talking about "Growing Greener" (PA preservation funding) should
things get out of hand again.  So, after 14 years (most of them quite
peaceful!), we're still standing and we have a very good shot of being
permanent -- and in March 2005, I didn't think I'd still be here talking to
anyone on the listserv because I wouldn't have a community garden anymore.

So, here's to Adam, who always answers our questions and never misses an
opportunity to urge us to participate in our wider community beyond
gardening, from Dorene who really is a disagreeable, cranky sort!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of