Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #205 - 4 msgs

Marie,

In Waco, the city's refuse dept. runs a full-scale composting operation where
citizens can buy mulch and compost at 2 set times per week. We have had a dry
year and they are overun with both products at the moment. They provided, and
will continue to give the garden both products at no charge - we pick up.
This allowed us to heavily mulch all walking areas. We benefit the city by
being an example of the product's uses (keep weeds down, water savings, etc).

We are on the slate next year for free water. We are fortunate to have a
member who works for the water dept. so the paper work is in.

The city waived charges for connecting our water meter - a savings of $1000.

Sanger Heights Community Garden - the first in the city, begun 9/99
Waco, TX