student interested in urban gardens

I am a 19 year old student with a very strong interest in gardening, and
more specifically the positive effects community gardens are having on
urban areas (schools, nursing homes, prisons, neighborhoods, etc.)
around the world.  I am currently very busy at school in New Mexico but
will be returning home to California in March for a week. I would like
to visit some urban community gardens in the Bay area, and see how they
are run and maintained, and do some volunteer work if possible.  I would
also like to find out if there are any community gardeners who could use
interns for a period of one to six months.  I am very excited about
this, and I would love to get in touch with some of these gardeners and
organizations.
Thanks!
Alisha Musicant