RE: ACGA COMMENT: Rooftop Gardens

Vilius:

The major elements of rooftop gardening are:

1)Really knowing the structural integrity and weightbearing capacity of your
roof. Before you think of starting a roof garden get a copy of the
building's plans, consult an engineer who can interpret thos plans and
examine the roof before you start. When you know here the structural beams
are, and what the roof can hold safely ( including your weight) then you can
plan intelligently.

2) Most roof top gardeners in NYC garden in containers. You seriously do not
want the root systems of any plants growing into the building. Also
remember, dirt has two weights...dry and wet. Be sure that you have a place
for the water to go.

3) Remember that wind is an issue. Nothing should be allowed to blow away.
Remember, Cyrano was killed by a flower pot.

Vilius, I know that there is an excentric socialite who has spent millions
converting  the entire rooftop of a Manhattan luxury building into an
orgainic garden. Complete with structural steel work and all sorts of fancy
irrigation, I'm told that it is (was?) brilliant.

For normal mortals, rooftop gardening is problematic

Adam