RE: RE: Mulching, composting & manure

Our community garden serves a huge area on the West side of Manhattan ( from
8th avenue to he Hudson River, from 59th Street ( Columbus Circle) to 34th
Street ( near Madison Square Garden).We have over 2000 keys out in the
community, and despite extensive signage, we get highly inapproptiate things
placed in the compost bins all the time  ( a decomposing pit bull was the
icing on the cake) hence the design of a locked compost area so only our
composting volunteers can add to the piles ( we'll have a collection barrel
of stuff, but despite signage, we'll have to sort through it -pleasant
thought-before we compost it.)We're doing a hot & a green bins, mixing them
and the four bin will be for use by the gardeners. With the size of the
garden, it will certainly be helpful, but will never be completely
sufficient for our needs. We currenly compost year round and will continue
to do so. We get lots of veggie scraps, egg shells and the pulp from juicing
establishments in the area.

We've used the plastics. The rats (Olympic world -class Norways) use them as
tooth picks. We've used tarps for years, and ladders, after a number of
years of close calls, we've decided to go with something sturdy to help
avoid accidents and liability ( a carelessly left out rake trod upon by an
oblivious barefoot tyke is a recurring nightmare for our steering committee
- hasn't happpened, but we worry). The concrete slab is a necessity.
None of the commercial or police stables near us would help us in
composting, They humorously tolerate us when we come by with wheel barrows.
We occasionally drop by a tin of cookies to the police, a six-pack to the
commercial stables as good neighbors ( cops can't drink on duty.)
The conditions of the Garden
One of our issues is that we are open, by key, in the garden 7days a week,
365 days a year between dawn and dusk. This is our mandate as a NYC Park. We
do not have a 'keeper", only steering committee and garden members who stop
by a part of their daily round. Hence, everything we build is sturdy and
constantly repainted and repaired due to heavy use and  graffiti.

Our garden rules are printed in English, Spanish and Arabic ( we used to
have Russian but they learned English so fast, it was unecessary) and it's
hard explaining that our safe, drug free community is not a playground when
a nice immigrant lady comes in with 7 kids in tow. We have playgrounds in
the area appropriate for running and climbing, but we're perceived as safe
so we get trampled plants and frayed tempers at times.  We try to keep kids
from picking the flowers by getting them involved in gardening, but this
process is ongoing. Although we have clearly marked garbage cans, we end up
with diapers in our collection bin sometimes, a joy in August.

Our garden in the midst of tenements is drop dead gorgeous and our website
needs more pictures.

Thanks for your suggestions, keep 'em coming,visit us sometime.